Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Real Joy

I was at the gym this morning and there was a commercial on TV for Sears.  It showed families wrapping and giving each other gifts for Christmas.  At the end it put the words on the screen "Real Joy".  That got me thinking.   I know that I have experienced "real joy" in my life.  Kneeling in the temple with my husband as we were sealed together for time and all eternity.  The first time I held Aiden and looked at this chubby little face.  Feeling our Savior's love for me when I read the scriptures.  Being with my family as we gather from all across the country.  And even all the little things too.  Aiden wrapping his arms around my neck and giving me kisses.  Going for a walk with my family on a beautiful evening.  Sitting around the dinner table with good friends, just eating, laughing, and talking.  All of that is "real joy" too.

So how is it that "real joy" has now been equated with giving your wife a treadmill for Christmas?  Or Uncle So-and-So the Kinect Zumba game?  Why when we walk into Walmart the week after Halloween are we bombarded with pictures of glowing faced children receiving gift cards or the latest rock and roll Elmo doll?  

Don't get me wrong, I completely recognize that it is a lot of fun and brings a lot of happiness to give gifts.  Even our Savior received gifts.  But it just made me sad to see something so special as "joy" degraded to receiving a drill for Christmas.  

Not to sound cliche, but let's remember the real reason for the season.
It's not that flashy new Light Sabre.
It's Our Savior, Jesus Christ, who makes REAL JOY possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment