Sunday, November 6, 2011

Yummy...

So growing up my mom always made the most AMAZING Pot Roast.  Nothing takes me home more than a roast cooking in the crock pot, yummy rolls, and my family sitting around the table.  BUT..my mom's recipe has always had dairy in it and since my family and I have gone dairy free (milk allergy) I have been searching high and low for a good recipe.  I have tried many and none were that great.  So yesterday I decided to wing it.  I read a bunch of recipes, took what I wanted from them, threw it all in the crock pot and hit go...

And 10 hours later, voila!  AMAZING!  Seriously delicious stuff.  And I am one happy camper that I have a recipe now!  So in honor of my wonderful discovery, I am going to share my recipe.  Try it out-it's delish!

Chuck roast (you want about 1/2 lb. per person-more if you have a big eater)
4 large yukon gold potatoes
1 lb. baby carrotts
1/2 large onion

Sauce:
1 1/4 c Beef Stock
1/3 cup Red Cooking Wine
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper

Dice potatoes and slice onions.  Mix all veggies in crock pot. Pour sauce over veggies.  Generously salt and pepper the roast, patting the seasoning into it.  Place on top of veggies and cook for 10 hours.  The time you spend cooking your roast is CRITICAL.  You need at least 9 hours to have it tender and falling apart.  Any less and you will have a tough roast.

After roast is done remove roast to cutting board and "slice" (it will mostly just fall apart into chunks-that's what makes it good!).  Spoon veggies out with slotted spoon onto serving platter and top with roast.

To make gravy, pour juices from the crock pot into saucepan and turn on high.  In small bowl or cup add 2 tbsp. flour to about 1/2 cup water and whisk together.  Whisk the flour mixture into the saucepan and continuously stir until well incorporated.  Let bubble, continuously stirring for another minute or two.  Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.  Serve!

Next time I will take a picture!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried using Soy Milk instead with either fresh or canned mushrooms and thicken it with eiher some corn starch and water of a roux? I haven't done it that way, but it may work more like your mom's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colt begged me to make one a week ago, so guess I shall just have to use your recipe, lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete