Sunday, November 6, 2011

Week One: How to get healthy one week at a time

I've been thinking a lot lately about everything I've learned from my husband and on my own about nutrition and how to get to a healthier point in my life.  Not just healthy as in not being sick, but healthy as in really feeling good, energetic, clear minded and taking care of my body the way it's meant to be taken care of, as the temple of my spirit.  Our bodies are an incredible creation, created after the image of our Father in Heaven.  They are a gift in this life, and we will be reunited with them in the next.  Knowing this, I have a firm testimony that we should take care of our bodies as best we know how.  Now I will be the first to admit that I don't do everything right, currently I'm still working on getting better at exercising.  One area I'm really proud of though is the way my family eats.  We are doing a lot of things right and I can feel a big difference.  So, I decided that I want to share what I've learned.  Most people when I start talking about all we do get overwhelmed and think it would be too hard to get where we are.  But what I always say is that it's been almost a 2 year process...changing one small thing at a time.  It was not an immediate switch.  So if you decide to follow my blog and want to try some things out, I'm going to give one task a week for you to work on.  Some things I'm already doing, some I'll be giving as a challenge to myself as well.  Some weeks will be pretty easy and others will be more challenging.  The biggest thing is to remember that even if you mess up, don't give up.  Just keep going and it'll get easier, I promise!

So (drumroll please), here is your challenge for week one:

As soon as you wake up in the morning drink 20 ounces of water before you eat or drink anything else. 

Yes you heard me, 20!

My tip: Buy a cheap big cup at the store, fill it before you go to bed and put it next to your bed.  As soon as you get up it's right there and you can chug it down!  I usually drink half, then make my bed, and then drink the other half.  If you don't make your bed...not sure what to tell you :)

Why?  Water is a critical part of our diet and most people are not getting enough. It helps flush waste out of our body, will give us more energy, and provide important minerals and other nutrients to our bodies.

And just a heads up...yes, you WILL be going to the restroom a lot more, but as your body grows accustomed to the added water you won't have to go as much.  So just be prepared for more bathroom breaks!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I can do this! (And I'm not sure I'll be able to say that about too many of your tips... junk food and I have had a really long relationship.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started doing this about 6 months ago! I'm still not sure my body has adjusted to all the extra water but I still try to get about a gallon in each day! :)

    ReplyDelete